October 24, 2014

Catching up - Last Part of the trip

The last part of my road trip I drove from Idaho to Oregon. I'd decided ahead of time to skip most of the interstate and take the secondary highways. It was a great decision. From Idaho Falls I headed to Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve.  I needed to push on to Bend and so didn't make time for a stop, but I will some day. What an amazing landscape. Huge, undulating swells of lava, frozen in time and place. As I drove on, I realized my entire drive was all about geology. Volcanic remants, red stained bluffs, wide open spaces. Driving the road less traveled was a real treat with the combination of scenery, tranquility and traveling at just a tad slower pace.

I stopped in Bend, Oregon for the night, and here two pictures of the room I stayed in;
Not exactly a cookie cutter motel room, I really got a kick out of this.

In the morning I headed out for my destination, continuing to make use of the road less traveled. Thanks to some earlier input from my friend Dusty, I chose the old McKenzie Pass road and made a stop at the Dee Wright Observatory. I didn't know what to expect when I got there, only that it would be inspiring, and it was. More incredible lava-scapes, a nice interpretive trail and sweeping scenic vistas. I have a few pictures to share, but before I do, I feel I should warn you about hwy 242 (McKenzie Pass). It is very beautiful and has an incredible range of scenery and it is narrow and twisty as all get out in some places. Not especially trailer friendly. Not good for those who suffer from motion sickness. But wicked fun if you like some spirited driving.

A panorama shot from observatory top
I'm a sucker for scenery.

A few hours later I arrived at Morgan River Ranch and settled in for a good visit. Some beautiful mornings.
A little bit of wine tasting.
Some gardening.
Taking care of animals.
Visiting with friends at the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. Where I did not take any pictures. Thankfully, my friends did. I did buy one fleece. A lovely CVM from Cedar Glen Sheep Farm. More on that later.

The long road home was a familiar one, no adventures along the by-ways. But at least one more volcano.
I had a terrific trip and made wonderful memories and am happy to be home.







1 comment: