February 3, 2015

Silly Chenille

What do you do with a beautiful yarn that is peculiar? I found this yarn on sale some years ago, when I'd been a knitter for only a short while. When I was still so easily swayed by a lovely, single skein of yarn that had no project in mind. I love the colors, and oh-la-la it is 100% silk.
But, it is chenille. Like a sheep that's just been introduced to a halter, it balks and bucks at the idea of an even tension. And, it doesn't really feel soft, or plush. Rather, while lovely to look at, in the hand it feels softly obstinate. Like it doesn't want to be told what to do.
Still, I love how the light shifts and plays over the colors, silvery in some places and deep jewel toned in others. What shall I do with this beautiful, difficult yarn? Maybe it would be happier as a woven project?

1 comment:

  1. I had that same early fling with chenille (only mine wasn't beautiful, multi-colored silk), and hated knitting with it. Weaving sounds like a good solution.

    ReplyDelete