December 20, 2010

Finished the Red Hot Bed Socks

I think they are too big. In fact I know they are too big. I was trying for a little bit too big, but these fit me, although a tad short in length. My goal was a loose fit, something that wouldn't constrict circulation. Trust me, that won't be a problem with these socks. Knit toe up, don't remember how many stitches I cast on to start (maybe 12, or was it 14?), but ended up with 36 stitches once the increases were done. After much deliberation over a beer or two, I decided to try Fleegle's heel, since I'd never used it before. Wow, its a very fast way to make a heel on toe-up socks. Just what I needed since I'd wasted taken so much time to decide on a heel. I started these on Friday afternoon and finished late Sunday afternoon, and could have finished even faster if I'd known exactly what I was going to do when I started. I wanted to finish the cuffs with a cute little picot point bind off, but didn't love it nearly as much in person as in theory, so these ended with a rolled cuff. Now I wish I'd just done a few rows of garter stitch before binding off, so I'll try that next time.

BTW, the bed socks are red, because that's Grandma's favorite color to wear. If she likes these, I'll make her some more that actually fit her.

I like this yarn, would use it again. It's soft and squishy, a little shiny and starting to get a little fuzzy after knitting. The yarn is Baby Alpaca Ampato by Plymouth Yarns, an aran weight 3 ply. Two of the plies are finer and have a tighter twist and are wrapped around a loftier, softer third ply giving this yarn texture, a bit of elasticity and a nice sheen. I'll have to try spinning some alpaca like this to see what happens.

These socks finished up so fast, I put one more knitted gift on the needles, a pair of fingerless mitts. More on those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment