March 29, 2012

More Fun than a Barrel of Monkeys

A box full of fleece. This is a portion of  fleece from a Finn/Dorset/Targhee sheep who lives at Merry Meadows Farm.

I've a mind to make a cover for an armchair, the chair that goes with the ottoman I covered awhile ago. So I've been on the lookout for some stronger wool than what I'm used to spinning and knitting. I've always been happy with the wool I get from Merry Meadows, so when I saw this fleece, I decided to give it a try. If it's too soft, it will make lovely outerwear or socks or mittens, or something. Maybe warp yarn. Or I could try plying it with an even stronger wool, for durability.

When I saw the deep golden color of the grease, I thought the fleece might take extra washing, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy the lanolin is washing out. And how white it is after washing. See?

1 comment: