July 31, 2012

Adventures in Baking

It would be normal baking for anyone else. I don't venture down this path very often at all, but I've had an itch. First it was the chocolate chip cookies. The ones meant for DH & Son, as my token of appreciation for driving to pick my new loom. I'm a fairly decent cookie baker, so I didn't expect any trouble. I called Ryan to come downstairs and help, since he says he wants to learn more cooking skills before heading back to school in the fall.

We have 2 baking sheets, and I usually rotate them, putting only one at a time in the oven, while the other one cools and gets loaded with the next batch of cookies. But last night's cookie batch was on the small side, just two cookie sheets full, so we stuck both sheets in at once. Well, much to my surprise, the bottom cookies turned out blackened on the bottom. I knew they'd get more heat, but I didn't think it would be so drastic. The top batch came out okay.

Right now, I've got a loaf of homemade bread in the oven. I found the recipe on Pinterest, and you can find the recipe here. My family loves artisan bread, and if I can figure out how to make something they like, so much the better. Four basic ingredients, and a little bit of time. How hard can it be?

So yesterday I mixed up the dough, pretty easy. But I thought it was just a little bit too dry, so I added just a little bit more water. Probably too much. In an hour or so, I'll know how things turned out. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment