August 9, 2011

And Then There Were 2

My two. The spare college kids went home, or to other family room sofas, or where ever. It was fun while they were here, and its nice now that they've gone. I can actually take my coffee and sit on the sofa in the morning. I can turn the water heater up to "VERY HOT!" to wash fleece, and not worry about anyone getting accidentally scalded during the mid-day wake up.  They didn't eat nearly as much food as I expected.

shucks, the picture doesn't do the texture justice.
Since then, I've been combing more Shetland, and carding the leftovers. I tried some novelty type spinning with the drum carded batts, and ended up with 2 little funky skeins of yarn, one from each spinning wheel. Both wheels worked pretty well for spinning the singles, but the Ashford with the jumbo flyer is a thumbs up for plying lumpy novelty yarn. The sliding hooks on the Pocket Wheel seemed a bit small, and sometimes the lumpy yarn caught on the sliding hooks.

The best part is I loved playing around with making this yarn, and I love how it turned out. I already have a little project in mind for these 2 little skeins.

Speaking of washing fleece, I just finished up a few pounds of crimpy, soft, silky merino, and another few pounds of soft, crisp, resilient cormo. The cormo wants to be a sweater of some sort, maybe with cables. I think this fiber will make great cables. The merino wants to be a sweater too, but something lightweight and cozy.
rich dark cormo
squishy soft merino
Dog!
Oh yeah, dog hair. This last bit comes from Jombee (I really don't know how its spelled), a Great Pyrenees  belonging to my brother's roommate. There seem to be 3 types of hair in there; short soft and fluffy undercoat or down, outer coat that might be like not quite fine alpaca and then the guard-hairs longest and strongest could be used for sock heel and toe reinforcement. I hand carded a few bits and removed most of the guard hair and spun a bit into a two ply. Its not bad. I'll post a picture later.


1 comment:

  1. Ooooo...gorgeous dog hair! Want! I'd love to know how the yarn from that turns out. You will post, right?

    ReplyDelete