August 14, 2011

Spinning Samples

For a change of pace, I tried spinning small samples for fibers, just to see how they'd turn out. I spun some white Suri alpaca, a little bit of brown bison, 2 samples of a Shetland/Alpaca blend I tried blending on the combs, and a small bit of Great Pyrenees hair I carded on the hand cards.

The above is, all of the above mentioned fibers, after plying and washing. Everything was plied from center pull balls.  Below is a knit up sample of the dog hair, knit on US #2 size needles.
It feels soft and has a great halo. Feels slightly scratchy on my neck, but then most things do. There's no elasticity to the yarn, so I think it would work best for making something with drape, like a pattern that would work well with alpaca. I may try blending the dog hair with a little bit of wool, for shape retention.

1 comment:

  1. The knitted sample looks like it's made from angora with that halo!

    ReplyDelete