August 22, 2011

The Boys Are Back

 Yes, they will always be my boys, but I keep reminding myself they are young men now. Men in college. Yeah, I feel like Rip Van Winkle. At what point did that growing up thing happen? Last week the two of them drove to Davis to hang out with friends. Drove themselves up and back without anybody saying, "Don't make me stop this car!" Or maybe someone did say it, but at least it wasn't me.

Last week was my preview of what that empty nest thing is. Less food in the house, far fewer trips to the grocery store, the top rack of the dishwasher not seemingly magically filled with dirty glasses. I take the trash cans to the top of the hill, instead of yelling reminding someone else to do it, and I'd better learn how to start the lawnmower. Or I could just turn the sprinklers off.

The emotional aspect of empty nest wasn't there, because, hey, I knew they'd be back in a week. And I know I'll manage, as I learned when Evan went off to college last year. Keeping busy is important and so is having something to look forward to, so I've decided I'll try my hand at weaving. A friend has offered to loan me a loom, and I think I'll set it up in Ryan's room. I haven't told him yet.

In the meantime, they're back. That means back to tackling all the outdoor projects I know I'll never get to on my own. And that means back to walking upstairs and waking up my boys.

1 comment: