August 30, 2011

Things I've Learned Recently

One life's great pleasures, at least in my opinion, is finding a delightful nugget of  knowledge when I wasn't looking for it. Just this morning, I learned about a Ravelry feature for pattern searches called Remember and Compare. Don't know how long its been around, but what a great idea. I wish I'd known about it when I started the Great Cardigan Pattern Search. By the way, the results of the search are percolating. I have some ideas, I think I'm heading towards a certain destination, but there is always the possibility of pin balling off in an entirely different direction. While I was searching, I ran across a new-to-me way of constructing a top-down sleeve, called the Contiguous Method by Susie Myers. I don't know if you need a Ravelry account to view these sites, I apologize to any who might not be able to view them. If you knit, crochet or spin it is a wonderful place and I recommend joining.

I've also learned things that I've specifically set out to learn. Such as; what type of rodent is it that the dog and cat keep catching? Turns out they are voles. The dog and cat co-hunt now. Scipio, the cat, has learned that Shae often flushes small critters out of the bushes, and doesn't notice. So the cat uses this to his advantage. The dog still benefits, as after a while the cat tires of the cat and mouse game and the dog recovers the critter.

Here is another recent animal I.D.;
the Western Grape Skeletonizer, aka Harrisina metallica. The stuff I've read says they overwinter in a silken cocoon... Maybe I should keep some in a terrarium so I can learn more about this silken cocoon. At least I know I have the food they need growing right outside. Thanks to Wormspit for the inspiration to I.D. these guys.

And finally, I've learned that even when a project seems like it will never get finished, and the mattress stitching is endless, it is possible to finally reach the end and say Done!
I especially like the stockinette band at the bottom, I love the greens and purples together. The colors aren't quite right on my monitor, but you get the general idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment